things to do
Syros offers quite a lot options for different activities not only in Ermoupolis but also in the smaller villages or in nature. While in Syros you may attend or take part in one of the following:
• The Guitar Festival of Syros takes place annually in July.
• The International Aigaiou- Syros Festival in the historic Apollo Theater lasts for approximately 15 days every summer.
• The international Syros Film Festival takes place in late July
• The International Classical Music Festival in Cyclades in mid-August at the Apollo Theater.
• The Loukoumi (Turkish delight) Festival in Miaoulis Square in late August
• The International Animated Film Festival and Forum of Syros with film screenings and creative workshops takes place in early October.
During the summer, several festivals that derive from the religious tradition and the popular culture of Greece are revived in villages on the island.
Every year a rebetiko folk music event dediated to Markos Vamvakaris entitled August Moons is organized in Ano Syros. Throughout summer many theatrical performances take place at the Apollo Theater.
Alongside, concerts, dance or music performances and exhibitions are organized in historic sites such as the Villa Tsiropina, the cultural space Manos Eleftheriou, the St. Nicholas Church and the Cycladic Art Gallery.
One may find several signposted, or not, trails in Syros for hiking. The local trekking/hiking team organizes group hikes of archaeological and natural interest. This way you can reach the caves of St. Stephanos or Charassona, the Gria Spilia and Pherecydes.
Diving, sailing and wind surf schools also operate in Syros.